Well I have decided to place my actual website on this server. My home server has failed due to router issues and I will probably be redesigning the entire website in the near future anyway since it uses outdated layout techniques. This server is basically the smith-marsden.org website that I work on for my dad’s side of the family. I plan on downloading the contents of my server to here over the weekend so that I can try to clean things up a bit and hopefully get this site back on the map.
I will probably post progress on the new smith-marsden site here since that is currently my main development challenge.
Additional features of the new smith-marsden site:
- Ability to invite other users given to everyone
- RSS feeds on letter submissions
- More information stored so that it is all in one place that is private rather than facebook or somethwere else which could be quite public
- New state of the art layout techniques enhance the website
- AJAX allows pages to submit forms without reloading, making page load times faster and looks really cool.
- The entire thing is made using CakePHP, a robust framework.
- More to come as I think of them and make them…